I belong to a food coop and had forgotten that I had ordered a HUGE amount of quinoa and that it was sitting on the shelf patiently waiting for me to do something with it. Finally the other day, at the last minute (I was packing Rosie up to go) I decided I had better get busy using it up. Now I keep asking myself what took you so long! Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) is very good for you, and can pretty much be a replacement for any other grain in most recipes.
Since I whipped up this recipe I have been living off of this salad and nothing else since I left the house. Not only is it very good for you but it is easy to make and very tasty!
I pop the flavor when cooking just a bit by adding a little shot of organic vegetable bouillon (you could also use chicken) or nothing at all depending on your taste preference. I had watercress in the fridge so that’s what I used since I was looking for spiciness. You could also add arugula to hop it up even more.
I hope you enjoy, I know I did… Now I’m just wishing I had made more!
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1/2 tsp Vegetable Better than Bouillon
- 3 or 4 Green onions chopped
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons plus 3 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 3 Chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup chopped Water Cress
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and cubed
- Cook quinoa according to package directions (I usually cook like rice using 1 cup quinoa 2 cups water). Once water is boiling stir in vegetable bouillon for extra flavor. Once cooked fluff with a fork and let cool.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, bake, poach or fry in olive oil. Once cooked let rest and cool until you can handle them, then slice.
- Add sliced chicken to quinoa, along with green onions, lime zest, water cress and chopped avocados.
- Stir lightly and enjoy!