Yesterday I spent most of the day outside in the garden, and I was enjoying myself immensely to say the least. So much so that I didn’t even realize that Hubs was late in coming home, or what time it was, what-so-ever.
I hadn’t been in the house since mid morning and, I had absolutly nothing ready to go for supper which is really unusual for me. And even when I did get into the house my mind was really NOT on cooking, even though we were both starved.
I knew we both needed something hot, so this was my go to meal last night. If you have fresh tomatoes coming out of your garden, or you can get your hands on heirloom tomatoes via friends or the farmers market you MUST make this.
This meal is the epitome of summer for me, although there are a couple requirements! You can only use fresh, juicy tomatoes-store bought will NOT cut it, and you must, MUST use fresh real Parmigiano-Reggiano which is a very smart thing to have in your cheese drawer at all times.
- 1 or 2 Heirloom tomatoes (about 1.5 pounds)
- 1-1 Pound Box of Mezze Penne or something similar cooked to Al Dente
- Fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Dice heirloom tomatoes, reserving juices. Add all of it to a large mixing bowl.
- Boil large pan of salted water, cooking pasta to al dente.
- Lightly salt tomatoes while you are waiting for water to boil which will help them release their juice.
- Using a microplane, shave Parmigiano-Reggiano over tomatoes to suit your taste (I love a lot)
- Quickly drain pasta in strainer, then quickly add to your tomato bowl, mix it all together, add a little pepper to suit your taste and enjoy~