Happy Belated St Patricks Day! Although I am late with this next recipe I wanted to share it none the less. This recipe was given to me from a Facebook friend and fellow lady trucker. I’ve been meaning to make it for some time but like so many other things, I never got around to it.
Yesterday though, seemed to be the perfect day to make something with cabbage, and of course I couldn’t find her recipe so I improvised a bit off of memory and then added my two cents.
Given that this recipe is such an easy, cheap meal and oh so comforting it is right up my ally. And to top all of that off, Hubs called today just to tell me how much he enjoyed this recipe, twice!
After doing a bit of research and knowing that my friend is from Pennsylvania, I found this is a very popular recipe with bothÂ Polish & Slovak heritages and apparently a Pittsburg tradition. But, I think if you like noodles, butter, and cabbage this recipe is for anybody.
So without further ado, below is the recipe.
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter
- 2 medium Onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large head Cabbage, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 8 slices of bacon
- 16 ounces egg noodles
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt & Pepper
- Fry bacon until crisp. Set aside bacon and drain oil from pan, then add back 2 tablespoons and butter.
- Melt butter then add onion, cabbage and garlic cooking until tender.
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions until al dente and drain.
- Once cabbage and onions are tender add paprika, mix in noodles, salt and pepper to taste, and stir.
- Simmer until heated through, top with diced bacon and serve hot.